Sunday, October 21, 2007

Traditions Endangered?

I was introduced to this mystic world on may 10th 1999. As a beginner, though I did not understand the in and out of it, I just followed what I was taught and instructed to do. Its just my trust and respect towards my predecessors that made me to follow their path blindly. I exactly dont remember when, but yes, I realized that this path has a lot to explore. Well, guys, am talking about the sacred thread ceremony. I strictly used to follow the procedures. Used to do 'sandhyavandanam' twice a day. Am presently not following these as there are some constraints that I am not able to meet right now. There is a telugu saying that opposes chanting 'mantras'. It goes this way

'mantralaku chintakayalu ralataya?'

Meaning: Does fruits fall for chanting a mantra?
I exactly dont know the answer to this question. But there is onething to be understood. For all logical and scientific questions, the present generation may not be able to give complete answers. But I feel blessed and fortunate as I could atleast learn my daily duties, rituals and traditions from my parents and grand parents.Now, if my next generation questions me about the culture and traditional background, Thank God, I have an answer. My family traditions are not ending with me. I am not gonna leave them till my last breath. Let me be very clear with this. This is not about putting ash and vermilion mark on the foreheads. Confine these things outer show marks to the four walls and when you are out of these, just be a social animal.

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Amarnath Vangara said...

yes..its true there's a lot to explore in this path... scientists such as Einstein and Ramanujam did beleived this path and its fetched a lot for them in their innovations....and Mr.Hari please try to do "sandhyavandanam" and serve the purpose of "sacred ceremony"..what might your constraints are!! :)

October 22, 2007 at 1:32 AM  
Blogger hari said...

my bro...am always inclined towards doing sandhyavandanam...will definitely tell u the reasons the next time we meet...:( :)

October 22, 2007 at 11:48 AM  
Blogger eNiGmA said...

Hmm... Do one good thing for the society everyday (or at least try not to harm it) and theres no need to follow any rituals... Do good to others and the almighty will take care of you...

October 22, 2007 at 3:32 PM  
Blogger hari said...

enigma...actually, this is not about 'taking care' and 'doing good'. this is something abt inculcating some sort of spirituality which is common in all religions. once you experience it, you will understand that ignorance is bliss. and if you dont...

October 23, 2007 at 9:31 AM  
Blogger eNiGmA said...

Hmmm....I see...I get my peace and solace when I meditate in the morning and when I go for a very long run in the evening...I am a god fearing person, but then again I have my limits...[:)] .. So looks like you are too busy with work...This was a nice write up, but yeah take care of the font color, its still harsh on the eyes...

October 23, 2007 at 9:48 AM  
Blogger hari said...

enigma...actually u finished the discussion in the way i wanted. i myself thought of qouting abt meditation but didnt wanted to. anyways nice to know that u meditate. and sure will change the colors very soon...

October 23, 2007 at 10:31 AM  
Blogger eNiGmA said...

Actually Yoga...and not meditate :-)

October 23, 2007 at 10:34 AM  
Blogger hari said...

yoga keeps u physically fit and meditation keeps u spiritually fit.
yoga is kind of a facilitator to perform meditation...

October 23, 2007 at 10:37 AM  
Blogger S Narendra said...

hari, when people belive in traditions like u do, why to hide them in public? dont u think its kinda following double standards? i am referring to ur line 'need not wear vermilion on the forehead'. why not? when u belive in it, why should u shy away from it? do u ever find a sardarji, or anyone asking a sardarji to remove his pugdi(turban) in public becuase it relates him to one religion? no! so performing sandhyavandanam, wearing vibudhi and vermilion on the forehead is part of the hindu tradition or more specifically brahmin tradition, so one should feel proud about it. ofcourse by saying all this, i do not mean to discriminate people on the basis of religion in public, at all. all are equal. At the same time I also feel one should carry on his traditions and customs, ofcourse 'AGAR BANDHA KO IN MAMLO MEIN VISHWAS HAI TO'

November 21, 2007 at 11:21 AM  
Blogger hari said...

thats just a perfect view of this topic. but let me tell you...there are sardars who stopped wearing turbans these days(reasons unknown and not to be asked). how do you identify a person as a sardar if he doesnt wear a turban? you cant. and the impression that every sardar wears a turban and all those who doesnt wear one are not sardars is not correct. i know some of my sardar friends who gave up wearing a turban. by saying this, i dont want to encourage people leaving the customs and traditions but it doesnt have to be methodical.
only problem in showing these external signs of religion is that people start taking these sensitive matters to extreme extent and land up in unnecessary and unwanted trouble which can be avoided by avoiding the external marks of religion/caste/creed. if you are OK to follow these things and still managing without any issues...good great...go ahead...you dont have any stopping...

November 26, 2007 at 3:31 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Creative Commons Licence
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 India License.